Thursday, October 8, 2015

Server Reboots

I can't say I'm a huge fan of server reboots and I really don't like doing them during business hours but today I had to give our main file server a boot. I came in this morning to complaints that the shared drives were slow so I checked it out. The SAN wasn't getting taxed and the host was idling so it must be the VM. I could log in just fine but task manager hung... that's odd. Everything was ok on the VM, opening windows, etc but I could not get task manager to open. Open up powershell and get-process is taking for ever to populate, about one line per second. Finally it started to catch up and there were all these 'cscript.exe' processes with more and more scrolling in. Finally it finished and the process ID of the last one was in the 90,000s. Wow I think I found the problem. Well it should be an easy solution, right? Get-process -name cscript.exe | stop-process -force. Nope, access denied. Ah, I didn't run powershell as admin, that'll get it. Nope, access denied. Shoot. It's time to put a change request in I guess. Luckily it's only a file server and it's a VM so it rebooted in about 10 seconds. I don't think anyone even noticed it was gone.

No comments:

Post a Comment